Studies show that giving works on our brain chemistry to make us happier . Gifts4Good is an easy and secure way to get happy and earn a little extra karma over the festive season this year. Powered by GreaterGood SA and sponsored by the Cadiz Foundation, Gifts4Good is an online shop which offers a range of alternative gifts that support poverty-busting projects across South Africa.
Browse and buy great festive season ‘gifts’ in the name of your friends, family, business associates and colleagues at gifts4good.co.za and then send personalised cards explaining how the gifts are helping to change lives in South Africa’s most needy communities.
This giving season there’s a high-impact gift to suit every pocket, like:
• Seeds for a school food garden for R50.
• Fish to feed an orphaned penguin for R100.
• Books for a community library for R250.
• A heat lamp to help hatch endangered African penguin eggs for R500.
• Batteries to power a needy child’s hearing aid for R100.
• Horse therapy sessions for a disabled child for R1000.
The gifts go to carefully selected social development projects in South Africa - thereby enabling these inspiring projects to become a reality.
This giving season, the campaign aims to fully fund the following projects:
- Bulungula Incubator in the Eastern Cape - an early childhood development centre, community library, after-school tutoring and two school-based food gardens.
- SANCOB in the Western Cape - a new hatchery to hatch African penguin eggs and hand-rear chicks, boosting the birth rate of this endangered species.
- Carel du Toit Hearing Outreach Project – to continue to offer free screening, hearing aids and other assistive devices to 3,000 underprivileged children in Gauteng.
- Amado in the Western Cape – to provide Equine Assisted Therapy (EAT), sessions to improve the life of 20 disadvantaged disabled children improve their quality of life.
Located in an impoverished area in the Eastern Cape, the Bulungula Incubator’s education programme will provide support for local primary schools, an early childhood development centre, a community library, weekly after-school tutoring and two school-based food gardens. A new hatchery for the Southern African Foundation for the Conservation of Coastal Birds (SANCOB) will enable them to develop local expertise on how to hatch African penguin eggs and hand-rear chicks.
The Carel du Toit Community Hearing Outreach Project will continue to offer free screening, hearing aids and other assistive devices to 3,000 underprivileged children in Gauteng. Individual therapeutic horse riding sessions will help 20 disadvantaged disabled children improve their quality of life through Amado, who provide experiential Equine Assisted Therapy (EAT) to children in the Western Cape.
GreaterGood SA conducts intensive due diligence on each project before it is selected, assessing governance, sustainability and real impact on the ground. So when you give a gift, you can be sure that your festive contribution will make a real difference to people and animals in need, in an accountable and sustainable way.
“We could all use a little extra karma at the moment,” says GreaterGood SA’s CEO, Dean Hand. “We live in an increasingly commercialised world where every celebration, tradition or festival seems to be more and more about what you get, rather than what you give. At GreaterGood SA, we call this time of year the ‘giving season’. It’s a chance for us all to give as good as we get, by doing something that really matters.”
This is the sixth year that GreaterGood SA has run its Gifts4Good giving season campaign with the generous support of the Cadiz Foundation. Since inception in 2005, Gifts4Good has raised R2.2m for 26 development projects ranging from a toy library in rural KwaZulu-Natal to upgrading a kitchen in a home for chronically sick and disabled children in the Cape.
Visit gifts4good.co.za and earn a little extra karma.
• Gifts4Good is year-long GreaterGood SA public initiative offering a range of alternative virtual gifts to help South Africans make a difference in communities. gifts4good.co.za
• GreaterGood South Africa brings good causes and committed givers together in meaningful and innovative ways to end poverty in South Africa. greatergoodsa.co.za
• The Cadiz Foundation has sponsored the initiative since its inception in 2005. The Cadiz Group believes that responsible and caring corporate citizenship is a key component of true business leadership. cadiz.co.za
• This year, award-winning agency Net#work BBDO is providing its creative services to the initiative pro bono through the MAL Foundation.
• For feel good articles or photographs of the 2010 beneficiary projects, contact Roxy Mitchell, Communications, GreaterGood SA on (021) 762 7944 / firstname.lastname@example.org.