GreaterGood South Africa was ranked in the top ten most admired and trusted NGO brands in the annual Ask Afrika Trust Barometer, an independent and objective measure that rates corporate trust and reputation. Started formally in 2004, GreaterGood SA has rapidly established its reputation as a trusted player in the social investment arena.
The only benchmark of its kind in South Africa, The Trust Barometer is based on 200 exclusive interviews with CEOs/MDs of listed companies. The Barometer 2010 included the NGO brand category for the first time and incorporated insights from the KING III report and topical corporate issues to ensure the relevance of the benchmark.
The vision of social entrepreneur, Tamzin Ractliffe – based on her experience in financial services, asset management and venture capital – GreaterGood has grown rapidly from a fledgling social enterprise into a major player in the South African development and corporate social investment field. The GreaterGood group now includes the GreaterGood South Africa Trust, with its community of 1,600 non-profits and 8,000 givers and GreaterCapital, a social enterprise providing strategic impact investment advice and opportunities.
“We advocate for sustainable, high-impact social change,” says GreaterGood’s CEO Dean Hand. “And I think it is our commitment to this philosophy that has led to our appearance on the Barometer alongside much older and more established non profit brands. We’re delighted that our work – and the work of our sector – has been recognised by business leaders in this way.”
The GreaterGood group facilitates connections and partnerships between social investors of all kinds and development organisations working to end poverty in South Africa.
To date, the GreaterGood group has:
- Raised over R42 million for good causes
- Advised on the investment of R818 million into high social impact projects
- Developed an award-winning Socially Responsible Investment joint venture with Cadiz Asset Management.
- Developed a network and giving platform for over 1,600 non profit organisations
- Consulted to 92 corporate, development agency and public sector clients
- Generated over 150,000 hours of volunteer skills and time
- Facilitated the distribution of more than 8.6 million second hand and surplus goods
- Created one of the world’s first social investment exchanges.
Drawing on the group’s extensive social development experience and reach, GreaterCapital focuses on the provision of specialist services to the social investment sector. Profits from GreaterCapital’s consulting work support the public benefit services offered by GreaterGood South Africa and are a key part the group’s own sustainability strategy.