79 African penguin chicks rescued from Bird Island need your help!
You may have heard that our PE centre staff and volunteers have their hands full these days with 79 African penguin chicks rescued from Bird Island.
The chicks were admitted on 1 June 2020 by our Seabird Monitor and staff of South African National Parks (SANParks) after a storm in Algoa Bay caused nest damage and chicks were unfortunately exposed to cold. Chicks were also abandoned by parent birds, and our team has been working hard to keep them fed, warm and given the necessary care in their new, temporary environment. On admission, many of the chicks were underweight and dehydrated and are now already in better condition since when they first arrived.
With less than 20,000 African penguin breeding pairs left in the wild, our intervention is critical to reverse the decline of this endangered species and we need your help to support the hand-rearing and feeding of the chicks for the next two to three months in our care. Your support is vital to help us get them strengthened and ready for release back to where they belong as we continue to bolster the wild population.
Adopt and name a chickYou can adopt and name a penguin chick for R600 for yourself or a loved one. First, visit our Penguin Chick Album to view and choose 'your' chick today!
Then email email@example.com to arrange your certificate of adoption and special thank you letter.
- Tours and education lessons at our centres in Table View and Port Elizabeth are still temporarily paused but we encourage you to get in touch with Alex and Sharnay to book online lessons for family households or school groups. Contact the Education Department via email on firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
- We have reopened our application process for internships for the months ahead. We offer opportunities for 3 or 6 month structured and mentored training programmes with a strong focus on skills development in the fields of animal science, husbandry and care, as well as welfare related fields. Previous experience working with birds is desirable but not essential. More information and downloadable application form found here and please don't hesitate to email Angela at firstname.lastname@example.org with enquiries.
- Join SANCCOB's Membership Programme at R300 per annum and be part of a supporter group with voting rights at our Annual General Meetings. You will receive a membership certificate and a tour for two at either of our centres and a special rate is offered to senior citizens.
- Our Legacy Programme offers the opportunity to support our organisation for years to come and your legacy will live on. If you choose to leave a gift in your Will to SANCCOB then please let us know of your intention or contact email@example.com if you have enquiries about the programme.
- Our Online Shop remains active. You might just find the perfect gift for family and friends or perhaps a special treat for yourself.
You can Donate Online or directly to SANCCOB's bank account.
First National Bank | Table View Branch | Account number 5923 713 5859 | Swift Code FIRNZAJJ
Reference your name and contact number.
Please forward your bank slip to Stephanie@sanccob.co.za so that we may formally thank you and assist with a Section 18A tax certificate for donations of R100 or more from South African citizens.